1 January 2008

SWAP Circles

Today is the official start date for the 2008 Timmel SWAP. Each year there is a twist, to keep things interesting. For instance, last year, one garment had to be reversible; this year, three unique garments must be made using a wardrobe pattern.

I have been thinking about this SWAP for literally months now, but I can't seem to come up with a solid plan. You might say, I have been going around in circles, hence the title of this post. Usually, I have a theme that inspires me and this year I am leaning toward doing a Jackie Kennedy inspired SWAP, using vintage patterns. I love her style and I have hundreds of vintage patterns, so it makes sense. However, putting it all together is eluding me at this point. I have a ton of coordinating fabrics, but ensuring that everything works together seems to be my biggest stumbling block right now. I really want to do an outerwear coat, 2 dresses, 3 suits (skirt and jacket), a blouse and a skirt. I want to start wearing more suits to work, so fitting the suits into my SWAP plan is ideal.

The colours I am contemplating are autumnal: dark forest green, burnt orange, cream, dark brown and mustard. The colours are dictated by this piece of fabric (from Sawyer Brook). This picture does not do the fabric justice - it is amazingly rich and the depth of colour is outstanding.


When I finally have this all sorted out, I'll post my storyboard.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see your storyboard and the SWAP as it grows. You inspire me to join - but since I haven't made a 'qualifying' purchase and I'm slow sewer - maybe I'll just 'play along.' g

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I'm glad you are going with the vintage patterns again.Not to mention I love the whole Jackie look. Carolyn made a wonderful black and white check suit inspired by a suit Jackie K. wore which I am sure you saw on her blog. You are right about the better drafting and instructions. Plus, I am always amazed at the quality level of sewing that was going on in the 50's and 60's. That's the era I learned in and my mom and aunts were all fabulous "couture" quality sewers. Those Vogue Designer patterns are fun to study even if you don't sew them up. I'll be waiting to see your SWAP as it develops.
Marguerite

Kitty Couture said...

Sounds great, Shannon. Sounds like you're in for another super creative year. :)

Vicki said...

Wow, that sounds fabulous! I hope you work it out (I'm sure you will) cos it will be amazing to follow. The SB fabric is for the coat? I have admired that fabric on the website.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others: WOW!

Didn't Jackie have one of those swing coats? That would be right up your alley. Also, wasn't she big on the Chanel suit, another timeless classic that I would consider "shannon-wear."

Unfortunately, right now, all other images of Jackie are being crowded out by one that lurks in my memory for some reason, of her with Aristotle O, walking off the yatch wearing those huge sunglasses and a blackc pantsuit (I hope I'm not remembering a jumpsuit). I mean, she looked great, but a bit removed from her Kennedy-era style.

Maybe I need fashion therapy. I hope I haven't wrecked it all for you.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Due to the way I want to structure my work wardrobe, I'm not entering SWAP. So I can't wait to see your plan! You know that I have really taken a page from the 60's and the Kennedy mystique to develop my own Corporate Chic workstyle so it will be interesting to see you develop a plan around this idea.