: Simplicity 7990 - this pattern has a copyright date of 1968Size
: One size in the package - size 8 - bust 31.5, waist 23, hip 33.5Fabric
: Maggy London sueded fabric (100% polyester) from Fabric Mart
In the second photo you can see how nicely the stripes ended up. I was rather pleased with the effect created by the straight grain stripes contrasting with the bias stripes. Here are a couple other fun photos - hey, the pattern is from the 60s, so why not a little dancing from the 60s?
This pattern is one of the ones I am considering for my SWAP. I figured I should probably work out any fitting quirks before I cut into the good fabric. I decided to use up this sueded fabric, as it was likely inexpensive and, in all honesty, not one of my favourite fabrics in the stash. I'm not really sure why I bought it as I am not normally a big fan of polyester (besides being "non-breathable", it is a static cling magnet). I'm guessing Fabric Mart had it on for such a good price, I got sucked in by the siren song of a good bargain. This fabric was a bit more finicky to cut out due to the striped pattern. It probably took me 1.5 hours total to make sure all the stripes would be placed nicely on the garment and I think this extra effort was worth it.
The pattern, aside from the obvious instructions to cut out the fashion fabric, also has you cut out underlining for the bodice, skirt and midriff, as well as lining for the midriff. You rarely see underlining (and sometimes even lining) mentioned in modern patterns. I like how things were done "back in the day" - if you're going to take the time to construct a garment, do it right. The underlining and the lining really do give this dress the body needed to sit nicely on the wearer. For the underlining and lining, I used a Ralph Lauren cotton bedsheet that I had picked up for a song several years ago. It has a nice paisley pattern and it gives the inside of the dress a nice finish.
The dress went together beautifully - all the notches and markings were perfect. This project was fairly time consuming (approximately 10 hours from laying out the pattern on the fabric to hand finishing the lining, facings and hems), considering how simple the dress appears on the envelope. However, it was not a difficult project - anyone with decent sewing skills and some patience could complete this dress without much issue.Conclusion
I have found that this type of A-line dress is good for my pear-shaped figure and I find this particular dress to be flattering. Unfortunately, it is a smidge tight through the midriff - although once the extra holiday pounds come off, it should fit perfectly. I really like this dress - more than I thought I would. It will make a nice addition to my work wardrobe.