2 January 2007

Simplicty 3881

Pattern: Simplicity 3881, vintage 50s pattern

Size: One size in envelope; waist 24", hip 33"

Fabric: Black Silk Dupioni










Project Photo
:



















Inspiration:
I saw this outfit online and I was instantly smitten with the simple, elegant lines. I don't have any need for a floor length gown, so I decided to make my version a tad shorter. Also, I'm not sure if the original is a one-piece dress or two separate pieces. I decide to make two pieces, as it increases my wearing options. Don't forget, you can click on the photo to enlarge it.

Comments:
This is the first piece that I have completed for my SWAP. I had already done a wearable muslin for this pattern (see the post below this one), so I knew that the fit would be good. This version went to together easily.

I was going to underline the silk fabric, but, in the end, I decided against it. I want to be able to wear this skirt two different ways. With just a light slip underneath, it falls close to the body and looks less dressy. For dressier occassions, I plan on wearing a petticoat (which I plan on making ) underneath to puff it up.

Conclusion:
The top to complete this oufit is very high on my to-do list, so keep a lookout for it.

2 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Shannon ~ this is going to be amazing when paired with the top! Heck it is pretty amazing now!

Marji said...

I just love the whole vintage theme of your swap.
Gorgeous skirt.