10 July 2011

Evolution of a Sewing Room - Part 2

In my last post, I showed you the progress on my sewing room.  Since then, the flooring has been installed.

I chose to go with cork flooring that coordinates with the red oak hardwood found throughout the rest of the second floor.  I have a few knee and back issues that crop up if I stand on a hard floor for too long.  The cork is a remedy to this potential pain.

Cork is a so much nicer to stand on for long periods rather than tile or hardwood - it cushions achy bones and muscles like a dream.  And since I didn't want carpeting in my sewing room (trying to vacuum stray threads out of carpeting is a royal PITA), cork was the obvious choice.  The bonus is that it is very aesthetically pleasing as well.

The cork comes in strips that click together very easily (similar to many laminate floorings on the market).  It was such a quick installation that the builder was able to complete my entire sewing room, including the fabric closet, in less than a day.  Talk about instant gratification.

Below are pictures of the installed floor.  Unfortunately, not only is the floor dirty from the installation, but the lighting was not on my side when I snapped the pics.  However, it still gives you an idea of how the cork looks on the floor.  Now all the room needs is trim, a door and the proper light fixtures.


Much has been done throughout the rest of the house (inside and out) since we last spoke.  Below is a picture of the house front as of yesterday.  The outside of the actual house body now only needs a tiny bit of siding, a few lights, the front door and eaves troughs.  The septic system and geothermal heating/cooling is supposed to be installed during this coming week.  Then the land can be filled in around the house, graded and seeded.


It is really starting to come together and look like the house I have envisioned in my head for the last several years.  I really feel like it is turning into a home for us now.  At any rate, we move in on July 29th, so it's 19 days and counting...

16 comments:

Biba said...

Oh, wow! What a great home :)

Anonymous said...

I have had cork floors for 3 years and love them. I also matched them to the hard woods in the rest of the house. You will love them too!

gMarie said...

I wanted cork but my hubby veto'd it. He thought dog nails and dropped scissors might not let it stand up very well - please let me know how it handles those.

I love the front of your house! I adore a great porch and your house definately has one. Can't wait to see sewing coming from that lovely studio. g

Shelley said...

What a gorgeous house - can't wait for the inside tour! Your cork flooring is lovely - and I understand cork is good for sound-proofing.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I was thinking aboout you the other day and wondering how things were progressing. Good to hear your move-in date will be soon and that by the time school starts again you'll be sewing in your new dream sewing room!

Linda T said...

Beautiful. I know you are soooo excited!

Vicki said...

The sewing room is coming along nicely! And the outside is pretty as a picture. Not long now:)

CarlaF-in Atlanta said...

Good Luck on the move. Beautiful floors and beautiful house :)

BeccaA said...

How exciting! Your house is really coming together. Your moving day is so soon! I can't wait to see what you sew in that lovely room.

Jane M said...

Wow, I've never seen cork in the plank version, it's simply beautiful. I too will be eager to hear your opinions about dog nails and those dropped scissors. But the comfort factor is terribly convincing. My feet and back really feel the hardness of tile.

Ann's FAshion Studio said...

It is truly a gorgeous house.

Elaray said...

A brand new sewing room (designed by you) inside a brand new house. What a blessing! I'm sure you can't wait to move in and decorate!

Kaye (Adelaide Australia) said...

I think the floor looks great. I was interested in the geothermal heating and cooling and wondered what is installed to make it work.

a little sewing said...

I noticed the cork immediately, too. You can devote a whole post to it, if you like :) once you've had time to evaluate its performance.
We are considering cork to replace wall-to-wall carpeting when the time comes. I agree with you, I don't want to stand on a hard floor. At all. ever.

The house looks great!! It is fun to see all the photos.
I imagine it has been an exhausting project, so glad it will conclude soon.

Maggie said...

What a beautiful house, Shannon. The cork was a stroke of genius too. Can't wait to see the next set of pictures.

Jeanettec said...

Beautiful home and I'm very much interested in that cork flooring. I'll soon be pulling up the carpet in my sewing and was looking at laminate. Let us know how that cork works out.