26 December 2010

The Floodgates are Open

Oh man, I can't stop buying fabric lately.  Just the other day, I bought a major crapload of fabric and here I am back at the trough.  Lately, I am a fabric glutton and I blame it all on Fabric Mart and their emails of temptation.  How is a gal supposed to resist 30% off?  Not to mention that I wanted to sign up for the 2011 swatch club and I wanted a mystery fabric bundle.  So, I figured I'd kill two three birds with one stone. 

I have been on a bit of a navy kick lately, so I picked up (going 'round clockwise) navy wool blend seersucker from Calvin Klein, navy cotton lycra twill from Dana Buchman, navy striped Italian cotton shirting and midnight navy worsted wool.  Trust me, that's what they are, even though they probably all just look like massive blobs of navy on your monitor.




































I also nabbed a lightweight wool and cashmere blend olive suiting to use for Vogue 7764.  I have had this pattern for an age, but I never got around to making it.  However, I was recently inspired by the lovely Robin, who is thinking of sewing up this jacket out of a gorgeous plaid fabric.  Unlike Robin, who is capable of thinking outside the box in terms of novel fabric/pattern pairings, I decided to be as predictable as possible and use this olive fabric to make view B.  Or I may get real crazy and make view B, with view A's collar.  So, you'll obviously want to stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion of this important decision.

I guess I just have jackets on the brain because I have decided to join in on the "Jacket a Month for 2011" sewing frenzy that was inspired by Gigi and promoted by Marcia on Stitcher's Guild.  I have already finished two jackets and it's not even 2011 yet.  I know - I'm really awesome!  So, if you are inclined, feel free to meander on over to SG and join us.

15 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Pictures...I need pictures! And of course, you had to indulge one more time...I mean 30% OFFFFFF!!!!

Connie B said...

You know- I've never purchased from Fabric Mart!! Are you generally satisfied with the quality of the fabric you receive?

gwensews said...

Great fabrics! I succumbed to FabricMart sale also. Sometimes it is necessary for one's sanity. See you over at the SG jacket sew-along!

Ann Made Studio said...

Love all the navy fabric and I too love that pattern and have it :)))


The shipping costs sometimes scares me away from buying,even during sales :(

Carol said...

I've bought $400 worth of fabric in the last two weeks, so I'm with you on this one.

Faye Lewis said...

You go girl! I must say I'm a bit fabric envious, having to hold off on fabric purchases because of Christmas expenses and a $600 plus car repair bill. Enjoy, you deserve it!

Maggie said...

I love hearing about your purchases! And wow, navy is a different choice for you though. I love navy on others but always thought it was hard for me to wear. I did just order a navy sweater from Talbots so maybe it's a trend.

a little sewing said...

Shannon, you are too funny! That jacket will look amazing in an olive solid. And I am so enamored with my lovely plaid that I decided not to risk sewing it up using that pattern after all. The plaid needs simpler lines.

Loving all that navy! I have a lot of navy in the stash, too and looking forward to seeing some navy goodness.
Thanks for the shout-out :)

Sharon Sews said...

Yes, it's true. You ARE awesome :-) I also joined the 2011 12 jackets in 12 months. I was going to start sewing a jacket today and decided to wait a week so it can count in the 12 in 2011. You know, I'm with Carolyn - garment pictures! We need pictures!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you've already finished 2 jackets. Yowza! I'm planning a suit jacket for Jan., and I'm already planning on it taking me the whole month.

Dana said...

I made that jacket it when it was still in print. I still have it and still wear it - so it must be good! I used a deep red faux suede. Think I agree with Robin's comment a solid is much better to show off the design details.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the navy worsted wool? I didn't see any anywhere.

Linda L said...

Sometimes you just have to give in to those fabric buying urges!! Good luck on the jacket a month sewing. I thought hard about it but the way I have been sewing lately, I wasn't sure that I would be successful in making one a month.

MushyWear said...

I wish I had a need for that many jackets! Vogue 7764 is a great looking jacket and I would do the same thing and use that beautiful olive you just bought for it! I'll stay tuned.

Marie-Christine said...

Well, you needed some motivation to get into sewing, and what can be more motivating than luscious fabric? I'm intrigued by the wool seersucker myself, come to think of it.
As to jacket, hopefully being 2 ahead will let you off the hook when you lag? You should not blog about them so as to have them to pull out, innocent-like, at at later time :-)? Nah, it's not that serious of a commitment I hope.