3 May 2010

Lacquer Lundi

I must have been channeling a purple people eater (warning - this link goes to a You Tube video - don't click it unless it's safe to blare some tunes) all week long.  Check it out below.


On to the pretties:

BB Couture - Midnight Malibu
- purchased at overallbeauty.com for $9.00 US

In the bottle, Midnight Malibu polish looks like a dark purple base with silver and teal glitter.  On the nail, it is more of a dark navy blue with silver and teal glitter.  It reminds me of the night sky when it just starts to get dark enough to see the stars.  Stunning!

Midnight Malibu applies wonderfully, like the majority of the BB Couture polishes that I have in my stash.  It took two coats for full visible nail line coverage, but I did a third coat for a nice depth of colour (this ended up biting me in the arse at removal time, as the excess glitter was a real pain to remove - ah, the sacrifices I make for you people).  Wear was good - only minor tip wear after two days.


Orly - Charged Up  & Orly - Twilight
- both purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for $6.49 CDN each

Charged Up is a reddish purple creme.  It got a lot of love from the people around me.  It's not a unique colour - I've seen very similar shades out there, but it certainly is pretty.

Charged Up applied nicely due to the fine formula.  It only required two coats to achieve opacity.  The wear was okay - tip wear after one day.

I decided to try to wear this manicure for another day, but I wanted another look, so I added two coats of Twilight on top.  Twilight is a silver shimmer in a very light lilac translucent base.  It added a subtle dimension of sparkle to the Charged Up.  Unfortunately, the addition of Twilight to my mani caused the polish to essentially fall off the tips of my nails (check out the photo to the right for an example of major tip wear).


Sally Hansen Insta Dri - Violet VOOM
- purchased at Shoppers (chain drug store) for $5.49 CDN

Violet VOOM is a gorgeous purple metallic with very fine teal and red shimmer.   It is simply stunning and I was quite taken by the colour when I applied it.

Violet VOOM applied nicely - between the wide brush and the excellent pigmentation, I was able to use only one coat to arrive at complete coverage - excellent.  That is where the love ends however.  This polish is the chippiest stuff I have ever used.  After only one day, I had massive flakes falling off my nails - not excellent.

5 comments:

Aminat said...

Wow, I love the color, too bad it didn't stay on for long, but very pretty on your nails

Biba said...

All these colours are amazing!

Mary Beth said...

Oooo, favorite colors, a favorite tune.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Too bad that last one is low quality because I LOVE the color!

Tany said...

Lovely colors, my favorite is the first one (I belive I have that same color of nail polish!)