28 May 2009

...5...

This is another Simplicity 4599 that I made several years ago. And believe me, if you looked on the inside you could tell - the seam finish is atrocious, but the outside looks reasonable, so I still wear it. Does anyone else ever look back on earlier creations and cringe at the quality?

The fabric is a cotton pique, purchased at Fabricland, my local chain fabric store. The fabric has a white background with teal, purple, lime and black dots, so there are a bunch of different colours that can be worn with this skirt. Unfortunately in this picture, I went a bit boring with a white rib knit tank top and a black RTW cropped cardigan. I was in a hurry to get out the door that day - I had professional development meetings all day long.

10 comments:

Sheila said...

Lovely skirt and yes I have a garment or two that looks good and wear well, but the inside of it is another story.

cidell said...

I am mortified at construction from years ago. But, this looks adorable from the outside so we're none the wiser!

Elaray said...

Yes, I do shudder when I look at garments I made years ago! But, as you said, who's gonna know? The skirt is really cute!

Summerset said...

Yes, I do cringe at some of the stuff I've made. I look inside sometimes and think, "What was I *thinking*?!?".

Nevertheless, that is another super cute skirt! I think the simplicity of the style lets each fabric shine on its own, too.

gwensews said...

I don't think your outfit is boring at all. It's cute as can be.

verobirdie said...

I cringe at some pieces I made only months ago and I'm glad I made progress since then.
I'm glad too that it goes that way, and not the other way...

Rachel said...

I have been sewing for almost 10 years now, and I still cringe at pieces I made even 2 years ago. I feel like since I have discovered all these sewing blogs, I have become a much better seamstress. Your skirt is so cute.

Unknown said...

1. Yes, I cringe, but know I'm the only one who knows it's there!
2. Professional Development... sometimes it's helpful and has value, and sometimes it's just a way to pass the time! Either way, I'm glad it's built into our day and that we don't have to stay late to get it done!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Gawd, I wish I could wear something from that time! *LOL* It has long since disappeared from the wardrobe...but I totally KNOW what you mean.

BTW, how many more days before summer vacay?!

Tany said...

I do!! A couple of weeks ago I pulled a pinstriped pant suit out of my closet (made 10 years ago, I think) and I was terrified by the lining/facing/hem intersection! I spent the day wanting to redo that suit because I really love the way the jacket fits on me.