13 April 2009

Lacquer Lundi

I have always been amused by quizzes that provide some insight into my inner workings. As a teenager, the only reason I ever bought Cosmo was for the quiz. In that vein, I present, What Nail Colour Are You? Apparently, I am:


Ironically enough, even though I am 0% pink, that's exactly where we will be starting today. And just to prove that I really am a yellow girl, that's where we'll end the tour.

So, on to the pretties:

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear - Petite Pink
- purchased at Rexall (chain drug store) for $1.53 CDN

I was looking for a less in-your-face colour for the week, as I knew I was going to be very busy and might not have the chance to switch up my manicure as often as usual. Lighter colours don't show the wear as much as darker colours, so I choose this subtle light pink to start off the week. I am not normally a pink lover, but I have to admit that this subtle, shimmery pink is quite pretty. This Xtreme Wear polish is just as wonderful as all the rest I have used. The formula is great - I could have gotten away with two coats, but I used three as I don't like when the whites of my nails are easily visible through the polish. The polish applied nicely - not too thick, not too thin - and the brush is easy to manipulate. I got great wear as well - no chips and only light tip wear after three days.






Rimmel Play Fast - Pop Quiz
- purchased at Rexall (chain drug store) for $3.26 CDN

This is such an interesting polish - I don't think I've seen anything quite like it elsewhere. The base is a very light peachy-pink, jam-packed with small glitter that flashes dark peach, light peach and gold. It has the most amazing glimmer in the sunlight - mesmerizing! The polish applies well (due to both the consistency of the polish and the nicely shaped brush) and dries quite quickly. Three coats are needed to make the polish approximate bottle colour, but the extra work is worth it. The polish wore well over the two days I had it on - no chips, a bit of tip wear and a few cracks (which I think is actually due to my top coat getting a bit thick - note to self: pick up some polish thinner).



China Glaze - Cherry Pie
- purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for $3.99 CDN

This polish is part of the Summer Days collection From China Glaze for summer 2009. It is a bright orange-red base with lots of shimmering glass flecks which reflect light in the most beautiful way.

The first coat goes on fairly transparent, but a second coat evens everything out. A third coat makes the polish almost fully opaque and adds a real depth to the colour.

I have all the other offerings in this collection and after trying Cherry Pie, I can't wait to try the others over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.


China Glaze - Solar Power

- purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for $3.99 CDN

You can't help but smile when you're sporting a sunny colour like this one. This colour, which was part of the Ecollection from Spring 2008, is certainly not for the wall flower. It is bold and bright and attention getting. Almost every person that saw me when I was wearing this polish commented (favourably) on my nails. This polish applied well (as with most China Glaze polishes), but it was streaky for the first coat. It's not much of an issue however as the second coat evened everything out. Compared to other yellow polishes I've used, which can be a streaky, chalky nightmare, this polish was minimally annoying.

This will certainly be in regular rotation for me during the summer months.

6 comments:

gwensews said...

I'm a "yellow" also. Love the yellow polish. I must get to Sallys and get some of the China Glaze colors. I'm still takin Biotin and using Jojoba oil on my nails. Hoping they grow out strong and quit peeling!

cidell said...

I have 'grapejuice' and 'orange marmalade' from the Summer Days collection. I've worn both and think they are pretty. But, I liked OM better on my toes. And, I think both looked best with just two coats. But I needed three for opacity. I'm curious to know what you think.

I'm with you on pink. I love it in everything but my nail polish!

Oh, and I'm on week two of being back on the biotin!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I got a pedicure on Friday in a sparkly seafoam blue-green and now I want all kinds of fun colors!

Mardel said...

Oh I am pretty tame about what I put on my fingernails although I always flirt with the yellows and other colors. ON the toes though, anything goes and I love yellows and greens and blues -- especially blues in the summer when I can look at my toes underwater in the pool. On the fingers not so much -- I'm much too boring for that. Although I have to admit you've gotten me polishing my nails like a fiend.

patsijean said...

Well, I am yellow too. I will have to try wearing polish again. We have a Sally's nearby so I will look into their eco collection and the yellow poliish. I have been taking biotin for about 2 weeks now.

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

All of the colors are awesome on you! I love the length of your nails too.