6 April 2007

Bead There, Done That

Pattern: Vogue 4209 (copyright date 1961)

Size: size 10 (bust 31", waist 24.5", hip 33")

Fabric: For the bodice - beaded and embroidered silk from Emma One Sock and for the skirt - orange silk dupioni from Fabric.com (this picture makes the dupioni look far more red than it is in real life - it actually perfectly matches some of the embroidery on the EOS silk).









Inspiration:
As soon as I saw this dress at Vintageous, I knew I had to do a "knock-off" of it for my SWAP. I love the full skirt, the nipped-in, belted waist and the fitted bodice with small cap sleeves. I like the difference in texture and lustre between the bodice and skirt fabrics.

However, I knew I would look washed out in head to toe creamy white. When I saw the paisley beaded silk at EOS, I decided to make a dress based on the orange in this fabric.

Although the Vogue pattern I choose is not exactly shaped like the inspiration dress (although it is pretty darn close), I really liked the interesting lines. The points at the top of the front bodice intersecting the sleeves is such a nifty detail, rather more unique than the typical set in sleeve.

Up Next: Preparation and Construction of the Bodice

1 comment:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Shannon are you adding layers of netting or fabric to make your skirt poof like the inspiration idea? Or are you making it more like your muslin?

Oh to have somewhere to wear all of your beautiful creations to! *smile*