Pattern: McCall's 3489 - copyright date 1955
Size: size 12 - bust 30", waist 25", hip 33"
Fabric: dark coral linen rayon blend from Fabric Mart
This is the muslin for a top that I will be using for my SWAP this year.
When I first pulled the pattern out of the envelope, I was leery of the size of the bust darts. I knew I would never need that much room. However, I decided to sew the pattern unaltered. I had a large amount of the coral linen/rayon fabric, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and just dive in. If the first top was a wadder, so be it - I had more fabric to use for a second attempt. After the top was assembled, everything fit perfectly except for the bust. I could pinch out approximately 1" across the entire front. The bust area was so large that I could fit two balled pairs of socks into the front of the top. I knew the silhouette for women in the 50s required large breasts and a small waist, but this was ridiculous! To remedy this problem, I traced out the pattern (I don't like to cut up my vintage patterns) and did a SBA (see my last post). Using the altered front pattern piece resulted in a top that fit quite nicely. I'll talk more about the construction when I review the SWAP version.
Conclusion: This top, along with the matching skirt (which will be reviewed soon) will make a really nice spring/summer outfit to wear to work. I really like the silhouette of this pattern. I am ready to tackle the SWAP version of this top now.