8 March 2010

Lacquer Lundi

St. Patrick's Day.  What other holiday is observed purely as an excuse to get drunk and stupid?  Easter?  Nope.  Earth Day?  No way. Labour Day?  Okay, maybe, Labour Day.

Maybe St. Patrick's Day originally had something to do with a saint or religion, but nowadays no one really cares.  These days, come March 17th, it's time to knock back as much green beer and Bailey's as is required to get up in front of total strangers and belt out a slurred rendition of Danny Boy.  Ahh, I love being Irish!

In honour of this venerable holiday, I proudly present some gorgeous green pretties:

China Glaze - L8R G8R
- purchased at head2toe.com for $2.99 US

Aye and Begorrah, L8R G8R is a stunning spring green holographic polish that demands to be noticed.  When I sported this polish at work, several people (colleagues and students alike) complimented me on it.  This is one of the most overtly holographic polishes that I own.  It is amazing in any light - outside, inside, it still looks super cool.  I love, love, love this polish!

L8R G8R applied fairly nicely.  As with many holographic polishes, the first coat was streaky and the second coat pulled on the incompletely dry first coat, making bald spots.  The third coat, however, evened everything out and created a flawless finish.  This polish wore well for the first day (no tip wear at all), but chipped on the second day.



BB Couture - Iced Olive
- purchased from overallbeauty.com for $9.00 US

No Leprechaun worth her salt would be without an Iced Olive manicure for the holiday.  Especially since Iced Olive is a gorgeous dusty medium green base packed with lovely gold shimmer.  It really is unique and pretty.

Iced Olive applied nicely and covered well in two coats.  It also wore pretty well - very little tip wear after two days and one tiny chip (that I think was actually more the fault of a thickly aplied top coat, rather than the polish itself).




Sally Hansen Insta Dri - Lickety-Split Lime
- purchased at Shoppers (chain drug store) for $5.99 CDN

Be sure to wear Lickety-Split Lime when traveling to Ireland to kiss the Blarney stone.  You'll be an instant smash with the locals due to this luscious bright green creme.  Heck, they might even buy you a pint of ale at the town pub!

Lickety-Split Lime was a bit of a problem child to apply.  The consistency was rather thick, which caused lumps and bumps and chunks that were difficult to smooth out.  The brush was also wonky.  All the other Insta Dris I've used have a round tip on the brush; this one, however, was cut straight across and it made it hard to keep polish off the cuticle area.  The polish required two coats for opacity.  Wear was good with only minor tip wear after two days.



Zoya - Irene
- purchased at spaboutique.ca for $9.00 CDN

You'll be saying Irene Go Bragh (instead of Erin Go Bragh) when you put on this Zoya beauty.  Such a fabulous olive green base with gold shimmer.

Although Irene required three coats to be opaque (I prefer one or two coaters), I can't complain about the actual application, as the consistency of the polish and the shape of the brush made it a breeze.  Irene wears well - only minor tip wear after one day.

9 comments:

Suzy said...

Another holiday with the intent to imbibe and sing raucous songs is "Talk like a Pirate Day" (Sept 19), though I don't know if they have that in Canada.

meredithp said...

I think Talk Like a Pirate Day has gone global.

Love those greens. Yummy...like emeralds. (Note to self "Duh" Meredith)

AllisonC said...

Wow I don't have a single green polish and here you are with 4! Nice nails!

Paige said...

Those are lovely greens!

Jen said...

I also just realised that I don't own green. I quite like the China Glaze, it's a little different. I suppose I have to go out and get some for next week.

Carol said...

I love every single one of these colours and if I lived in Canada I would be raiding your stash! Wow!

Cisa said...

I may have actually just drooled a bit over L8R G8R

Summerset said...

Love the China Glaze color! BTW, nice to your Simon report and his lovely furry self, too.

Ann said...

Hope I can find some of that beautiful China Glaze! Thank you for keeping my fingers looking a little better. Yes, St. Patrick's Day today is primarily a day to celebrate being Irish, but check out St. Patrick! He was an amazing man who truly cared for the people of Ireland and acted bravely to help them. He is worth celebrating, too!