5 February 2012

The Taming of the Arse - Week 5

I have had one more week on the health bandwagon.

The bad news is that I am still plateauing.

The good news is that I reducing my body fat percentage.  Over the last five weeks, I have decreased my body fat percentage by 2.5%.  So, although I haven't seen the scale budge in a while, the nasty fat is going away.

Also, keeping me happy is the fact that I am feeling so much better than I did five weeks ago.  I am not winded going up long flights of stairs.  My bad knee (dislocated the little sucker several years back) is feeling stronger and my sciatica hasn't acted up in ages.  I feel younger and healthier and not so cranky all the time.

On the eating front, I have been doing well all week - plenty of veggies, whole grains and lean meats.  However, I will admit that tonight I will be indulging in heaping plates of Chinese food during the Super Bowl (I don't like football, so I need something to keep me interested!).

So, my intrepid buddies, are you still with me?  I sure hope the answer is yes!


*************************************************

I won't be around at all for the next week.  My colleague, Andrew, and I are taking a group of students to the Florida Keys.  Every couple of years we venture down to Newfound Harbour Marine Institute & Sea Camp for some sun, snorkeling and marine biology. I am not a biologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I always tag along because we are required to have teachers of both sexes along for the ride.  See ya when I get home!

14 comments:

Jane M said...

You sound so much healthier and happier, hooray. Hope your trip is marvelous.

Lisette M said...

Enjoy your trip! Sounds like a lot of fun!

My scale hasn't moved either =(. But even though my sciatica acted up last night, it has been good.

BeaJay said...

Well done on the taming front. I have now gotten real and I have decided to track my weight loss on an app on my phone. I just downloaded it last night so no progress yet.

Enjoy the Chinese - you have to have an occasion treat - if not just to shock you body back into losing weight. My theory is that your body gets used to the good stuff and starts losing weight slower so an occasional shot of carbs and sugar hits it and the next day you start to lose again (well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!).

Enjoy the trip too - sounds great.

Rose said...

Way to go! You are getting the REAL benefits of your weight loss plan. I bet that the scales will drop soon!

Ellen said...

Still with you! Lost a pound last week for a total of 4.2! C25K still going strong... did day 1, week 4 which meant 16 minutes of running (not straight through, thankfully). Having a little tostito fest here watching the game.

Have a great time in Florida!

marysews said...

I can wave as you fly over central Florida. I'll just make up a time, 'K?

Do you get enough healthy fats in your diet, such as coconut oil? We keep a jar in the kitchen to cook with, and another jar in the bedroom for skin care.

a little sewing said...

yep, still plugging away here. I am still down a few pounds and I exercised (hard) 6 days out of the last 7. I am getting used to the really hard classes at the gym, so that means I am high on endorphins most of the time.
I still want to lose more belly fat, but hey, at least I am high on the endorphins :)

Karin said...

Well done you! Have a great time in the sunshine:-)

elizabeth said...

Not certain if you measured yourself before beginning this program, another way to track your progress. I have found this to be true in some cases-people will lose inches as they shed fat and gain muscle. You may also notice your clothes fitting differently.

Anonymous said...

Well done on your progress. I'm sticking with the argument that any progress is good progress (especially as I only lost 1/2 lb this week).

Let's keep it up!

Enjoy your break.

The Hojnackes said...

I actually got on the treadmill this week! That was a start. Then I headed out of town for the weekend and ate way too much- but lost a pound or two. Go figure. Maybe it was just all the healthy eating with no weight loss balancing out. I didn't eat bad food, just too much food. Oh well. I plan to spend this week eating lighter foods. This heavy full feeling is no fun.

Sheila said...

I am still hanging in there and still going strong with the Slim-n-6 dvd (Burn it Up). I have added 5lb weights to my aerobic routine and spent the better part of last week with my arms feeling like noodles...lol. In an attempt to confuse my body with the same movements everyday (i.e. instead of doing lunges, I will do arm curls or run in place with the weights instead of Leg raises). Adding the weights to my routine is what I needed and noticed as I continue into Week 6 an increased intensity in my workout zone.

Cheated with food 2 days last week, since I am working out 5 days a week... made me feel good while eating it.


Enjoy your trip.

Sheila said...

Happy Friday... quick visit to share that I put a twist in my workout today... dug out my 3lb. hoop and did hula hooping for 30 mins. Its not a high impact workout, my intensity only peaked at 50%, but a good way to mix it up.

fun fact Link: http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5241113_many-calories-hula-hooping-burn_.html

Review link via amazon: amazon.com/product-reviews/B0018DG5D4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001GB8OI2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R40CZ13794KQH0R6CBM


Until then stay motivated...

pdiddly said...

well done on the reduction of body fat - I am sure there is a reduction in your measurements even if there isn't much movement on the scales. This week I have been doing quite a bit of cycling again + its been really cold and one would think that it would help move the scales, but I have a feeling on Monday I am going to plateau too. I am off to Houston on Monday for the week so lets hope I don't have too many nice dinners out.

Keep up the good work - its nice to know there are others out there with the same goal.