29 August 2011

Evolution of a Sewing Room - Part 6

Since moving in to the new house, I have been working diligently at putting my sewing room together.  I love to organize, so this has been super fun for me.  I even have things to the point that sewing has commenced - I have already turned out a dress, two pairs of work pants and several pairs of exercise pants.  I'm a mad woman!
 
Today we will take a gander at my cutting table that doubles as a pattern and notion storage cabinet.  Originally, I was going to cobble together a few old bookcases and a piece of plywood to act as a cutting table in my sewing room.  However, hubby said (and I quote),

"Why don't you design something and the cabinet maker can build it?"  

Hmm, let me think about that for a min---...wahoo, new sewing cabinet, here I come...

So, I sat down with my trusty graph paper and a pencil and got to work on a viable design.  I wanted an ample cutting surface - enough room for a long length of 60" fabric to rest nicely on top.  I ended up with a 3'3" x 8'4" (39" x 100") laminate counter top that has rocked my world so far.  Ah, the joy of having enough room to cut out a complete pattern in one go.  I used to use the pennisula in the kitchen of our old house and it was too tiny to be really useful.  I had to cut out pattern pieces in sections, while trying to keep the fabric from falling off the edge.  Can you say PITA?

I also wanted storage for all my patterns.  I have a ton of mainstream patterns: BMV, Simplicity and New Look.  As well, I have a large assortment of independent designers, including Loes Hinse, Textile Studios, Jalie and Kwik Sew, among others.  In addition to my envelope pattern collection, I have several years of Burda magazine, a few Ottobre Woman and several Japanese pattern books.  Finally, I have a large collection of vintage patterns (mainly spanning the 50s, 60s and 70s).  So, obviously I needed a few good sized, deep drawers.  I ended up with 6 drawers on one side of the unit and 3 drawers on the other side, for a total of 9 deep drawers, each with inside dimensions (length, width, depth) of 29" x 14 3/8" x 12".  These 12" deep drawers accommodate any size pattern, including my Burda mags standing up in holders.

My last desire was for easy to access notion storage - elastic, zippers, buttons, trims, etc.  I have 6 drawers on one side of the unit - each drawer measures 29" x 4 5/8" x 14 3/8".

I even have a drawer for UFOs (although I purged most of my UFOs for the move, I did hang on to a few of them - now, I just need to complete the little rotters) and patterns that are next up on the docket.

The cabinet maker did an amazing job turning my design into reality.  I could not be more pleased with the resulting cutting table unit. It is highly functional and it is also a gorgeous piece of furniture.  Le sigh...

44 comments:

shams said...

Wow, that is pretty sweet!

Debbie Cook said...

Le jealous. ;-) But in a good way. That's one awesome and extremely gorgeous cutting/storage cabinet.

marysews said...

Oh, you are So Spoiled! That is Awesome!

sewingkm said...

Jealous with a capital "j"! Enjoy!

fiberchick said...

How fantastic!

Vicki said...

Very nice indeed! And the overhead lighting is perfect. Lucky you :) Can we see the fabric stash closet next??

Joyce in NC said...

That is a beautiful piece of furniture. I am so jealous of you. I can only wish I had that much space and such great storage/cutting capability.

The Hojnackes said...

That is a wonderful cutting/storage station! Definitely need one of those for my studio too. One day- until then I will just keep looking at yours!

Dilliander said...

Wow, that's beautifully crafted, you are going to have an amazing sewing space! Thanks for the photos.

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness, that is SO AWESOME! Now I know what I can aspire to having in my sewing room one day. Suppose I need a sewing room first though! :) You are a lucky lady..

BetsyV said...

WOW that's beautiful AND practical. You should sell the plans to the rest of us ;)

Alison said...

Green with envy. That is just gorgeous!

Pam from South Australia said...

Wow. Just too too cool for words! Of course there are high expectations of your output from that incredible sewing space. Hope you have the best fun.

CarlaF-in Atlanta said...

That is one gorgeous piece of work! Did you do the happy dance when it arrived? Two questions, are your patterns in 9"x12" envelopes? Have you begun filling the awesome-stupendous-enormous fabric stash closet?

Ann Made Studio said...

Your sewing cabinet is beautiful! Great job on the design.

Mine is 39"x74" and is a perfect size for the set of three Olfa Rotary cutter mats. I like my size table but your extra 22" will definitely be nice when cutting out longer pieces or for making curtains.

Anonymous said...

That is POSITIVELY to die for!

ReaderRita said...

SO super cool! I am envious, but in a good way- the aspirational kind that stimulates creativity and planning! (with only a touch of the *green* type thrown in...)
When do we get to see your creations? (demanding little HZC fan, ain't I?)
Also, can't wait to see the rest of the sewing room, AND your fabulous Über-Closet!!! (actally, closetS- both the fabric AND the clothing varieties!)
I hope you are loving your new home, and that it is all going swimmingly well. :)

Ann Made Studio said...

~ extra 26" ~ I was cleaning up my table and your measurement came to mind, I forgot to add the 4" :))

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Okay - I will get whatever you want from Fabric Mart, put it in my suitcase and physically carry it over the border to spend some quality time in your new sewing room!

Your cutting table and pattern storage is so oohhh lalalala beautiful!

Elaray said...

Absolutely fantastic! What a fantastic design! I'm sure you'll have a sewing room you'll never want to leave!

MushyWear said...

Very cool!

tarabu said...

gasp! did you see all those zippers? and the . . . ? and the . . . ? So excited for you!

Janine said...

I`ve just finished mopping up my computer with drool. I second Vicki though - please oh please show us your infamous fabric stash and storage. Oh by the way you deserve your sewing room etc - this is why you work so hard !
Also do you have a special area for your lovely dog to keep you company while you sew?

jemilyea said...

It's beautiful! In the second photo from the top, the cabinet reminds me of the furnishing in old classroom science labs--how appropriate for you.

Jane said...

Sewing dreams really DO come true. Now can we see your kitchen (bet you also have an enviable pantry!)

Reethi said...

Oh, so envious! That looks awesome!

Connie said...

"Le Sigh" indeed! I think I would never want to leave that sewing studio!

Anonymous said...

So lovely! There is nothing like a beautiful piece of furniture designed to be exactly what you need it to be in a room designed to do exactly what you need it to do. Someday, I keep telling myself. Someday.
And I'm excited about your upcoming patterns. Vogue 8667 is on my list too!

Lisa said...

Wow I have sewing room furniture envy :-)) .

Margaret said...

Congratulations on your new cutting table!!!! I love everything about it. I want one just like that. I can dream can't I. Thanks for sharing . You are a wonderful seamstress and an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Its the perfect piece of furniture when everything fits as it should and looks this amazing. Beautiful!

Bonnie O. said...

Positively stunning!! I will be redesigning a sewing room next year but alas, I don't have a space that large nor do I have a cabinet maker. :-(

But if I did, I can't think of anything I would do differently than you did. ENJOY!!

Jen said...

A seriouly amazing room, well done. And good on your husband for a great suggestion.

Maggie said...

Fabulous! I think you can definitely host a get-a-way sewing vacation at your house for all of us, no? And let's see those sewing projects!!!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

So jealous! That is a wonderful cabinet. Huge cutting space and storage for patterns of all sizes? Le sigh indeed!

Charlotte said...

Swoon.

Jane M said...

Jealous and so happy for you at the same time. Thanks for the details, especially those wonderful drawers. I may have to discuss this with a cabinet maker I know.

Kitty Couture said...

Swoon! May I come and play along some day?
I promise I'll be good. :)

Jennifer Tidwell said...

My envy is probably burning a hole in the back of your head right now. That might be the coolest thing I've seen all week.

My sewing room will not be quite so elaborate. I just want to get the sewing machine and serger off the dining table.

amber said...

That is one beautiful piece of sewing eye candy right there. :)

angie.a said...

I literally cannot comprehend this magnificence. Yowza.

M. A. said...

All that oh-so-organized storage, and the perfect cutting surface too! You did an outstanding job designing the unit! It works perfectly for its purpose because it was quite literally designed to do so. Now, how to convince my DH that I need something like this???

Nancy Winningham said...

Thank you for sharing this. DH and I are in the process of designing a remodel which will include a sewing room! I love your cabinet.

Unknown said...

This is stunning, what an amazing piece to add to your new studio! I featured your post on ASG in the SLC Blog
http://americansewingguild.blogspot.com/2012/06/amazing-pattern-cabinet.html