28 December 2009

Lacquer Lundi

This weeks installment of Lacquer Lundi, I will finish up my "12 Polishes of Xmas" that I began last week.

So, let's get right to the pretties:

OPI - Holiday Glow & Rimmel 60 Seconds - Dazzle
- OPI purchased at Trade Secrets for $ 9.95 CDN
- Rimmel purchased at Shoppers (chain drug store) for $3.99 CDN

This manicure doesn't scream holiday season, but it is still rather festive. Holiday Glow (a Winter/Holiday 2009 release from OPI), a brownish eggplant base with gold glitter, is worn on thumb, middle and pinky fingers. Dazzle, a sparkly gold, graces index and ring fingers. I love how these two polishes work together, linked by the gold in each. A very pretty, sophisticated yet funky, holiday manicure.

I used two coats each of Holiday Glow and Dazzle. My only issue was that Dazzle was a bit chunky and looked slightly lumpy on the nail - I prefer a smoother look. Both polishes wore well for the two days I sported them - only minor tip wear.


Zoya - Ibiza & Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear - Snow Globe
- Zoya purchased at spaboutique.ca for $9.00 CDN
- SH purchased at Zellers (chain discount store) for $ 2.17 CDN

When I picked out this combo of polishes, I was going for a wintery, ice-princess-gets-her-nails-done look. The dark metallic blue of Ibiza is the perfect foundation for Snow Globe, a colourless base with prismatic glitter. In the end this manicure reminded me of a clear night sky on a cold winter evening. Ooo, frosty!

I used a single coat of Ibiza, as this baby is pigmented out the wazoo. Snow Globe, however, was laid on in two coats to build up the density of the glitter. This manicure had slight tip wear and two small chips after two days.


Sally Hansen Salon - Ruby or Not to Be & Orly - Tiara
- SH purchased at Shoppers (chain drug store) for $5.99 CDN
- Orly purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for $5.99 CDN

Ruby or Not to Be is quite possibly the perfect red. Its glowy rich scarlet goodness, combined with a subtle metallic finish, is simply divine. And I don't even really like red polish all that much, but for this puppy, I'll reconsider! So, how to make a mani even better (read "even tackier")? Well, add something intensely sparkly, of course. Thus, enters Tiara, a colourless base, packed with silver glitter. Divine.

Both polishes required two coats to attain maximum awesomeness. I am actually still wearing this combo as I type, so I can only say that the wear is good so far (by so far, I mean the last 3 hours).

3 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

Because of you I actually bought the Sally Hansen Insta Dri - Rapid Red nail polish and "wore" it :))) It was very nice ~ something different that I normally never do!

Rose said...

Nice polish colors, as usual! I especially like the "Ruby or not to Be"-a great looing red. Please update us about Simon's status as soon as you can. He's on my mind. I'm still sending positive vibes your way.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That deep blue is gorgeous, and I'm going to look for that Rimmel gold polish.