9 May 2009

Frankenhound

Not much sewing has been happening around the HZC household lately (and it doesn't look good for the new Prom dress at this point, but hey, there's always hope). I have been preoccupied with Simon instead.

On Tuesday, he went in to have a cracked tooth pulled (he ended up losing two teeth) and a dental cleaning. At the same time he had several warts removed - two large ones from the top of his head and a bunch of smaller ones on his legs. By the time he got home on Tuesday evening, he was tired and cranky and sore. After being up with him all Tuesday night and for most of the night on Wednesday and Thursday, I'm a bit tired and cranky too.

With all patches of fur shaved off, the sutured wounds and the cone around his neck, he looks rather pathetic. I wish I could just wave a magic wand and make him good as new. This has been a traumatic experience for both of us. I was a stressed out mess prior to the surgery - he is almost 13 years old and although he is in excellent health, I couldn't help but worry about putting him under anesthetic. I truly hate situations like this that make me face his mortality. The thought of being without him someday breaks my heart.

But, enough with the melancholy. This morning he went for a check up and the vet says he is healing up nicely. Simon has resigned himself to wearing the cone and I have been calling him "Helmet Head", while my husband cracks wise about the reception he must be getting on his satellite dish. Poor pooch.

7 comments:

2BSewing: said...

Shannon...I feel your pain and anxiety. My beagle had to wear the exact same cone. She had surgery to remove her left inner ear (tumor). It was a tough thing to go through, but in the end she was a lot spunkier and happy. She knew she was loved. :)

I remember when she had the cone on and kept walking into things.

Glad to hear Simon is doing well. :)

Maggie said...

Shannon, glad to hear Simon is healing. I have had three dogs and I know just what you are going through. He seems like such a good dog. They can be so pathetic when they are hurting. Keep your chin up.
Marguerite

Lisette M said...

I'm glad Simon is healing well. I have been discussing our beagle's age with my husband...she has gotten pretty gray. She is 9 this spring and much loved by my family.

Ann Made Studio said...

Ah poor little fella :(
Glad to hear he is doing better.

mochimo said...

Poor poor Simon. I hope he'll feel better soon. I know how you feel, I've been through it. :-)

Summerset said...

Aw, poor guy! Glad to hear he's healing up!

angie.a said...

Poor Simon!! Bless him (and you!) I hope he has lots and lots of happy pup years left with you. :) I love my fur babies too, and it breaks my heart when I lose one.