Happy 2009 everyone! May this year bring happiness, health and joy to you and your loved ones. But most of all, may the sewing gods smile down upon each and every one of you!
Now, on to the sewing...I have wanted to make cardigan 103 and skirt 118 from BWOF for a while now. Considering the issue is from September 2005, I do believe I allowed the patterns to age the appropriate amount of time before use. Well, I could just kick myself now - why, oh why, didn't I make these patterns up sooner? I am madly in love with the cardigan and I have a fairly serious crush on the skirt!
To test the fit of each garment, I made a wearable muslin in some less expensive fabrics I had in the stash. The cardigan was made from a black boucle knit fabric and the skirt from some black RPL suiting, both from a Wazoodle flash sale. I made size 36 for both garments, with no original alterations. This proved to be perfect for the cardigan, but the skirt did require a narrowing of the yoke to fit my waist better.
I love the cardigan so much I have already made it up in another fabric (I'll show it you in a future post). I have plans to revisit the skirt as well, although the next time, I will be making a shorter version - the amount of fabric in the longer length is a bit overwhelming on my short body.
I also made a top to wear under the cardigan. I used the free pattern, Lydia, from Burda Style. I love this style of top, as it can be made in a wide variety of fabrics and each version will look different. I used up a remnant of a fabric I had used in my SWAP 2007.
So, here are the finished garments. The black garments are basically dark amoebas in the photos so I tried to lighten them up a bit. Alas, this only helped marginally, but here goes: