17 November 2007

I Tried to be Good - Really

Well, I have been stalking Fabric Mart's offering of Anna Sui silks for a while now. I kept talking myself out of buying a ton of fabric because the colours aren't really "my colours." Then, I went to the fabric store to buy lining for a project and had an epiphany. Good Bemberg rayon lining fabric runs about $6 - $10 per meter where I live. The Anna Sui silks are selling for $4.99 per yard. Hmm, it didn't take much for me to realize that I could have beautiful, designer quality silk linings in my garments for the same cost as regular old lining. Who cares if the colours aren't perfect for me? They'll be inside the garment.

And that's when the flood gates opened...



Obviously, I went a bit crazy, but for $4.99 per yard, I think I can get away with it! Most of the fabrics will be used as linings, but I picked up a couple others that were crying out to be a blouse (8th one - cream dots) and a fancy skirt (7th one - black/red/metallic). I also tossed in a free bundle - I have always had pretty lousy luck with the free bundles, but hope springs eternal!

On the sewing front, I have a finished skirt and top to post about and I have been cutting out a ton of simple basic wardrobe staples. More on that later...

7 comments:

Summerset said...

Good idea - there's no reason not to have a pretty lining if it cost less or the same as a plain one!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I can't say anything...I have dipped in that well three times since the sale started. And that is not just fabric rationalization but good ole common sense!

NancyDaQ said...

Great idea! They'll provide a couture touch. No one needs to know you were being thrifty (except us).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great idea. At 4.99 a yd you can't beat it. If you haven't already guessed I ordered some silks for linings too. Bemberg is nice, but silk charmeuse is divine next to the skin.

Kitty Couture said...

That is a great idea!

Vicki said...

I been looking at those too but thought too expensive with the postage. But yesterday when I saw the Versace and D&G lining at EOS I went a bit mad too!!!! And they were $8.50 a yard! Just had to have them.

Sharon Sews said...

That's such a great idea - I've been eyeing the silks also but wasn't crazy about the colors. You're post was a "duh" moment for me. Now excuse me while I leave your blog to go go purchase some silk linings at Fabric Mart.