16 August 2007

Butterick 4812

Pattern: Butterick 4812













Size
: B4812 comes in sizes 6 to 20 - I used size 8 for the bodice, size 6 for the waist and size 10 for the hip.

Fabric: Medium weight white linen from Fabricland.

Project Photo
:
Comments: I have been wanting to make this dress for the longest time now. I bought the pattern when it was first released and then it just languished in my stash. However, recently I saw Sharon's version. Her dress was so cute and flattering on her that it inspired me to get up off my lazy butt and make one of my own. Thanks for the inspiration, Sharon!

I wanted something decidedly summery, so I went with the white linen. I really like it because now I can dress it up or down with accessories in any colour under the sun. Also, since the linen is fairly heavy weight, I will be able to wear this dress into the fall, just by adding a jacket or sweater.

Conclusion: I already have a few other versions of this dress percolating in my head, so it will definitely get made again. This was certainly a quick project that produces major results. Sharon said it best, "It is a hidden gem."

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

This is lovely! I have this same pattern, already cut out, but I have NOT sewn it yet! I will get on this one over the weekend! Thanks for the inspiration!

Summerset said...

No joke, "hidden gem". I would have passed this pattern by in a heartbeat, just by looking at the other pieces that can be made with it. This dress is really great!

Vicki said...

Now that IS a cute dress!

Sharon Sews said...

Oooo, white linen. Nice choice! I bet this looks wonderful on you.

Isn't this a great pattern? I also have a few other versions dancing through my mind. I just hope I can find the time to complete another before the weather turns colder.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Shannon ~ this probably looks amazing with the butterfly jacket that you just made! It is a great dress!

Unknown said...

Shannon - seeing your dress after Sharon's this is now definately on my must sew list. I've had the pattern for awhile! It looks fab, would love to see more Shannon shots and less hanger shots, but happy to see finished garments any way I can. g

Anonymous said...

I was initially attracted to this pattern, but passed it by because of the dumpy factor. I think that may be a reaction to the layered look the illustration shows.

Linen looks like the right fabric for this, though. I may have to pick it up next time I'm buying Butterick.

Tany said...

Beautiful! Great dress!!

Linda L said...

I too was impressed with Sharon's dress that I went out and bought the pattern. I have yet to make it up!