After completing much of the dress, I put it on a hanger overnight to allow the bias portion of the hem to stretch out. The next day, after checking that the skirt bottom was indeed an equal distance from the floor all way round, I decided to do a double fold hem. Since this the skirt on this dress was quite full, I was limited to a fairly narrow hem. The fuller the skirt, the narrower the hem is the usual rule of thumb. On a skirt such as this one, I would normally try to keep the hem to about a 1/2". However, I decided to go with a 1" hem this time. With a 1" double fold hem, I think the extra weight and stiffness will help the skirt sit out from the body nicely. This is the method I used:
- stitch 1" from the bottom of the skirt
- press fabric to the inside along the stitching line
- fold fabric up 1" again, using the previously folded fabric as a guide
- hand stitch the hem, using a catchstitch
Just under the bust, on the seam of the empire waist, a band and bow is affixed. The band is applied from the left front edge, where the zipper resides, all the way around the body and it ends back at the left back edge. This leaves an opening, so the zipper is still functional. A bow is sewn to the centre front, on the band. I love this little detail - it just looks so darn cute! The original dress had rhinestones sewn onto the bodice - I have yet to decide if I will add this embellishment. As of now, I am calling this dress finished. This is my second completed SWAP item. Only 9 more to go! Below are the front and back views of the dress. Although I strongly believe that a garment looks so much better on a real person than on a hanger, I have decided to wait on posting photos of me wearing the SWAP items until I get them all done. Besides, I want to get the petticoat done before I model the dress.